Lemon Pepper Jerusalem Artichoke Chips
Print this recipe!
Jerusalem Artichokes….. so ugly but yet so beautiful all at the same time. I first discovered this delicious vegetable a few years ago and I was amazed at the nutty earthy flavour they have. I couldn’t believe I hadn’t really used them or heard of them much before.
Contrary to the name they are not actually artichokes but are part of the Sunflower family and are originally from Italy. But they are growing right now until March.
They are an amazing source of Iron and such a lovely way to get variety into your veg options. I don’t know about you but I definitely can get stuck on using and buying the same veg every single time and I find it can be so nourishing to just try something I’ve never tried before now and then.
Jerusalem Artichokes have also long been known in natural medicine to have amazing prebiotic properties to aid digestion and are very high in FOS (Fructo Oligo Saccharide) which helps to build good gut flora, strengthen overall digestions and balance out yeast in the blood and gut. In Macrobiotics they are known to be a great healer for the pancreas and also for keeping our blood sugar levels low, calm and balanced, therefore also great for diabetes and lessening the need for insulin. They are extremely high in Iron, Potassium, Fibre and Inulin which helps to break down fructose in the colon, helping to keep our colon and intestinal walls strong and therefore more efficiently functioning.
Overall, they are a pretty awesome veg!!
Energetically vegetables are our the way we can get variety into our diet. Every single one has a different energy, colour, flavour, texture and using a large variety of different vegetables, cooked in different ways is a great way to help us have good flowing flexible relaxed energy.
Also, there are so many vitamins and nutrients in each different veg and having a large variety helps us make sure we get all the ones that we need on a daily basis.
This recipe is so unbelievably simple I almost feel silly telling it to you! But it is a staple in our house around this time of year so maybe it can be for you too!
- 7 Medium Sized Jerusalem Artichokes
- 1 – 2 Tbls Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Pinches Fine Sea Salt
- 2 Pinches Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Lemon Juiced
– Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees celsius
– Wash and scrub the artichokes so that they are nice and clean but leave the skins on
– Then slice them thinly
– Add them to a roasting dish and add the remaining ingredients and mix really really well.
– You can use the ends of the artichokes too, in fact they taste delicious!
– Pop in the oven for 30-40min. Check after 30min. You want to make sure they are going golden and becoming crispy. A few burnt edges will taste delicious trust me!
Voila! Ready to serve xxx