Z’atar & Caraway Seed Crackers
Print this recipe!
These crackers are so utterly delicious and really simple to make. Like my post on making home-made hummus, making your own crackers will save you a lot of money plus you’ll know that they are filled with only the best ingredients. Also, if you’re anything like me you’ll feel really impressed with yourself as you get these out of the oven as they are so super crunchy and professional looking, yet really simple and easy to make!
I use a spice mixture called Z’atar in these crackers which is originally from Morocco. It is a mixture of herbs, such as oregano, thyme, marjoram as well as sesame seeds and spices such as sumac. But if you don’t have Z’atar at home then you can just use any one of the herbs listed above or your own mix of them all. Either way these crackers will be delicious, just make sure you stick to the quantities in the list below so the balance is just right.
Great British Bake Off eat your heart out!
- 120g Spelt Flour or Rice Flour (GF OPTION)
- 4 Tbls Ground Flaxseed
- 4 Tbls Sesame Seeds
- 1 Pinch Sea Salt
- 2-3 Tsp Z’atar Mix
- 2-3 Tsp Caraway Seeds
- ½ Tsp Baking Powder
- ¼-1/2 Cup Water
- 1 Tsp Olive Oil
– Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees C and oil a large piece of baking paper
– Mix all dry ingredients into a mixing bowl and add oil and water half at a time. Mix with a spoon and then with your hands to get a good firm dough
– If it is too dry, add a little more water and keep working it with your hands until it is a nice stiff dough. Not sticky or wet and not too dry
– Place on baking paper and with a rolling pin begin to role it out to approx. 1/8 inch thick. Do not worry it it cracks a little – just keep rolling
– Once done with a good knife cut out rectangle pieces so they become individual crackers.
– Place in the oven for 18min or until becoming golden brown
– Take out and let it cool for 5-10min
Enjoy with my Carrot & Tumeric Hummus for the perfect snack combination!