Spiced Pear & Walnut Upside Down Cake
Print this recipe!
This cake is so delicious. Fruity, spicy, rich and gooey all at the same time.
So amazing to be able to create an upside down cake like this without any refined ingredients and only full of goodness.
I love the balance of soft fruit vs sponge which helps to keep it light as well as super comforting.
Perfect for any occasion that will seriously impress your friends.
I hope you enjoy it.
(Serves 12 slices)
- 100g Whole Wheat Flour (Can use spelt or buckwheat)
- 75g Rice Flour or GF White Self-Raising Flour
- 60g Ground Almonds
- 2 1/4 tsp Aluminum-Free baking Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Sea Salt
- 60ml Olive Oil or Light Vegetable Oil
- 120ml Rice Syrup or Maple Syrup (I used Rice and it was sweet enough)
- 160ml Unsweetened Apple Juice
- 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1 tbls Olive Oil
- 2 tbls Brown Rice Syrup or Maple Syrup
- 4 Ripe Pears (Peeled and thinly sliced)
- 1 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Five Spice
- 65g Toasted Walnuts
– Pre-heat oven to 180degrees C
– Put peeled and sliced pears in a mixing bowl and add spices, oil, syrup and a pinch of sea salt. Mix together well with a spoon. Mix gently so you don’t break the pears
– To prepare the cake batter mix all dry ingredients in a separate bowl and all the wet ingredients in another
– Mix the wet with the dry
– In a pre-oiled 9″ cake tin, layer the pear slices in a spiral or concentric circles and pour some of the juice from the pear bowl over the top so it is all nice and moist
– Sprinkle a layer of the toasted walnuts
– Pour in the cake batter over the fruit
– Put in the oven and bake for 40min or until the cake is done in the middle and the pears are tender
– You will know it’s done when you stick a knife or skewer through the middle and it comes out clean
– Then take the cake out and leave it to cool for at least 15min
– Once cool, with a large dinner plate, place the plate over the top of the cake tin. With one hand on the bottom of the plate and one hand on the bottom of the cake tin, turn the whole cake upside down so it is sitting solidly on the dinner plate
– Undo the sides of the cake tin and pull up and off
Voila! A beautiful Spiced Pear & Walnut Upside Down Cake
Looks so impressive, tastes utterly delicious and is good for our health! Jackpot!