Spiced Chilli Maple Walnuts
Print this recipe!
Well we are getting well and truly into December now and although I’m not quite ready for Christmas just yet, I have really been enjoying making recipes like this one.
Christmas can be such a wonderful magical time of year but it can also be very stressful with present buying and how expensive it can all get. My husband and I decided last year that we wanted to teach Teia that Christmas is all about sharing love and gratitude with the people around us, joy and magic. Rather than how many presents will she get or whether she needs to be bad or good.
For me this time of year is so much about magic, love and letting go. We’ve come to the end of the year, with so much life, experiences, challenges, beauty and growth having taken part. I often begin to feel quite tired around this time as I feel the weight of the year I’ve just lived, but at the same time it also feels like such an achievement. We did it! Another year! No matter how challenging, beautiful, scary, exciting it was. And now it is ok to let go, relax, drop, surrender and let this year come to an end.
One thing I absolutely love doing is making lovely delicious foodie pressies for the good people around us – my daughters nursery teachers, our lovely neighbours, our babysitter and friends.
These Spiced Chilli Maple Walnuts are such a perfect pressie! They literally take 15min to make and if you get your walnuts in bulk they can be relatively cheap. You just need to make a big batch then fill up little glass airtight containers, put a ribbon round it and voila! A lovely, delicious gift to give!
I find these walnuts so moorish, I have to get them packed up and ready to go otherwise I will eat the whole lot myself! Savoury, chilli and sweet all in one. So scrummy! These will be perfect for nibbling on during christmas movies over the holidays.
I really hope you enjoy them.
(Serves 2 medium glass canisters)
- 400g Walnut Halves
- 3 Tbls Cajun Spice
- 3 Tbls Cinnamon
- 2 Tbls Nutmeg
- 1-2 Tbls Tabasco (depending on how spicy you want them)
- 2 Tbls Fine Sea Salt
- 150g-230g Brown Rice Syrup or Maple Syrup
– Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees celsius
– Add the walnuts to a large baking tray and mix in all the spices, tabasco and sea salt really well
– Then pour on the syrup and mix everything really well with a spoon
– Put in the oven to roast for 7-10min or until the nuts start turning golden brown. Please keep checking on them as your oven may be hotter than mine and they will go from delicious to burnt in seconds. And once they are burnt they will taste bitter
– Take them out of the oven and leave to cool for 15min and they will become crispy
– Pour them into your glass jars
Voila!! Enjoy x