Spiced Blueberry Tea Cake
Print this recipe!
This cake is so simple, comforting and utterly delicious. Full of heart warming cinnamon and nutmeg balanced with sweet, fresh blueberries. Perfect to whip up quickly for any teatime treat.
I have had enormous cravings for cake over the past few weeks….an obvious need for comfort during a particularly emotionally challenging time. Needing much physical comfort (ever noticed how warm cake feels like a big hug) and of course emotional too.
Cravings I have not had any interest in ignoring and that haven’t surprised me at all. In Macrobiotics, the sweet taste is connected to mother love, nourishment and comfort. And yes, I need all these things in abundance right now.
So this delicious, heartwarming and comformting recipe took care of me and my family, just when we needed it and did not last long in our house! I very much hope it will do the same for you. Please serve with very generous servings of Vanilla Cashew Cream and a few fresh blueberries.
- 230g Spelt Flour
- 50g Coconut Flour
- 150g Maple Syrup
- 55ml Apple Juice Concentrate
- 2 Tsp Baking powder
- ¼ Tsp Salt
- 250g blueberries
- 1 egg or 1Tbls Chia seed powder mixed with 2 Tbls water
- 55ml Olive Oil
- 140ml Almond milk
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Powder or 1 Tbls Vanilla Essence
– Pre-heat the oven to 180degrees celsius
– Mix all dry ingredients together but put everything through a sieve to sift through all lumps
– Separately mix all wet ingredients together with a whisk
– Mix wet with dry ingredients well so that there are no more lumps of flour but do not over mix as you will lose a lot of the air which creates the lovely fluffiness
– Lastly mix in the fruit
– Take a cake tin and oil well with a little oil. Make sure all areas are well oiled. Then sprinkle a little flour over
– Pour in cake mix until it reaches the top of the tin
– Put into the oven for 35-40min or until you can stick a knife in it and it comes out clean
– Leave to cool in the trays for at least 5 minutes. Then carefully remove and leave to cool for a further 10min on a wire rack
Voila! They are ready to be devoured! Perfect with a good lashing of my Vanilla Cashew Cream (see recipe). Enjoy! xxx