Lemon Coconut Polenta Cake
Print this recipe!
I absolutely love cakes made from Polenta. I love the texture and the lightness and polenta can hold flavour and seasoning like no other grain. It literally just absorbs liquids and seasonings like a sponge so absolutely perfect for refined sugar-free baking where often syrups are used.
Also I love to create baking recipes where I use either none or very little flour to be able to get out at those times when any of us in the family are getting colds or are a bit blocked up.
As flour can make mucus worse which is the last thing you need during those times.
Flour is a grain that has been broken and split into many many particles, when we consume it in any form, cakes, bread, cookies, it can get clogged up in the body and create mucus. (Mucus is just the body’s way of trying to discharge or detox anything from the body). It doesn’t matter whether it has wheat or gluten in it or not, it is more the energetic form of the flour itself that effects the body. So if you are someone who is susceptible to getting lots of colds, blocked noses or suffer from sinus problems, why don’t you try cutting out all flour from your diet for a period of time (no less than 3 weeks to really see a dramatic change) and see how much that helps things. I’m sure it will. I’d love to hear how it goes!
I don’t mind eating foods that are made from really good quality flour now and then but I do love having my stash of recipes that are very low flour or flour-less so that I or my family can still enjoy a dessert and support our health and well being at the same time.
Polenta is a really beautiful light grain, in fact it is ground corn or corn meal and is perfect for when you want something a little lighter. Therefore it is great for eating in the summer or at the end of summer to keep our energy light and flowing smoothly. Energetically it is great for nourishing our heart energy – there is no surprise that it is bright yellow, it looks and feels like the sun and the sun is all about opening our hearts and getting our heart energy stimulated and energised. So I say ‘All hail to polenta!’
I hope you all enjoy this cake. It is absolutely delicious and will keep nice and moist for 2-3 days.
(Serves 8-10 slices)
- 175g Fine Polenta Meal
- 60g Ground Almonds
- 110g Coconut Flour
- 10g Aluminium Free Baking Powder
- 65g Spelt Flour (Can use Rice Flour here if you need GF)
- 290mls Maple Syrup
- 130mls Lemon Juice
- 40mls Coconut Oil (Melted)
- 50mls Almond Milk
– Pre-heat the oven to 180degrees C
– Mix all the dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl (except the lemon rind)
– In a separate bowl mix all the wet ingredients together (save the extra 1/4 cup of maple aside)
– Mix everything together well and then add to a lightly greased cake tin.
– Bake in the oven for 40-45min. Keep an eye on it and as soon as it starts going golden on the top you know it’s nearly ready. Stick a knife in it and if it comes out clean you’re done!
– Let it cool for at least 10min.
– Once cool drizzle the extra 1/4 cup of maple syrup over the top of the whole cake and you will see it absorb it like a sponge! Add lovely slices of lemon for decoration!
Voila! Enjoy! Drizzle on a generous helping of the Vanilla Cashew Cream from my website and enjoy every moment!