Apple & Berry Jelly
Print this recipe!
I love Jelly! I mean who doesn’t right? With every mouthful it can transport me back to being a kid again and it just makes me feel happy. With the amount of sugar, artificial colourings (and the rest) found in regular confectionary children’s jelly, it just isn’t something that appeals to me anymore. And especially not something I want to be feeding my daughter.
And so…..Introducing Kanten!
Kanten is a macrobiotic jelly – made with only natural ingredients and is absolutely delicious!!!! Knowing how to make a kanten is one of the most useful Macrobiotic dessert recipes I’ve learnt so far. They are unbelievably simple to make, absolutely delicious and the whole family (particularly the kids) will LOVE them. You can make a big batch of them in one go and they’ll keep in the fridge for a week.
Plus Kantens are exceptionally good for you. I would even go as far as saying that they are medicine. Yup, it’s true! I often prescribe them to my clients and students to help their bodies release held tension and blocked emotions from their abdomen and stomach area. Helping to promote a softening and transformation to occurs from the inside out. Pretty amazing right!
Made with only fruit juice, fruits (depending on what flavour combination you go with) natural sweeteners and set with an ingredient called Agar Agar.
Agar Agar is a sea vegetable, is completely unrefined and natural and has amazing medicinal properties. It is exceptionally good for aiding relaxation and releasing stress in the body. It is great for helping our digestion work more efficiently and can help to release blocked and held emotions, promoting feelings of positivity, openness, calm and balance to our overall wellbeing. You can find Agar Agar here.
If you find yourself feeling super stressed, tense and obsessing about silly things then have a kanten to help relax and feel yourself ‘letting it all go’. It makes me giggle sometimes as I watch my student’s leave our desserts class so relaxed and loved up you almost would think I’d spiked their food!
So enjoy this delicious, playful and relaxing medicinal dessert any day you need.
- 3 Cups Natural Apple Juice
- 1 Cup Raspberries
- 1 Cup Blueberries
- Pinch of Fine Sea Salt
- 3 Tbls Maple Syrup or Brown Rice Syrup
- 3 Tbls Agar Agar Flakes (Heaped)
– Put the apple juice, sea salt, maple and agar flakes into a pot and turn on to high heat. Bring it to a boil then turn the heat down to a low simmer and stir the mixture slowly.
– Keep stirring until all the agar flakes have dissolved. You will know it’s done when you can no longer see any flakes floating in the mix.
– Once done turn off the heat.
– Now take your glasses or jars (whatever you want to serve them in. I have served them in wine glasses, champagne glasses, martini glasses or jam jars. It just depends on what vibe you want to create) and pour equal amounts of raspberries in each one and equal amounts of blueberries.
– Pour on the apple juice mix into each pot so that they all have equal amounts.
– Leave to set in the fridge for 1 hr.
Once set enjoy enjoy enjoy!