Stargazer Beetroot, Apple and Red Onion Soup with Coconut Cream & Garlic Parsley Pesto
Print this recipe!
This soup is so nourishing in so many ways.
Beetroots are such a magnificent vegetable, the colour alone is so stimulating and warming for the heart. They are highly rich in nutrients and an excellent source of fibre so great for strengthening our intestinal tract and digestive system. If we can use the green tops then we get an extra boost of iron, calcium and vitamin A & C as well as becoming incredibly detoxifying for our liver and blood. Plus they are full of antioxidants so fantastic for strengthening our immune system.
Energetically, beetroots are highly stimulating for the heart, getting our heart energy flowing and moving, especially great if you are feeling down hearted or finding it hard to connect with what your heart wants and calls for. Our heart is our guide to our dreams and our what intuitively can guide us towards what is right for us and what is not so having our heart energy flowing well is very important.
The natural sweetness in caramelised red onions and beetroot is also really great for stemming of sugar and sweet cravings but nourishing the part of us that craves sweetness in a way that will keep our blood sugar levels in balance, our emotions calm and our mind clear.
Lastly, the colour does something to us emotionally – have you noticed? It is such a rich deep earthy colour and I find it so grounding, warming and nourishing from the inside out.
Adding the parsley pesto on top gives the whole meal a real contrast in flavours and a vibrancy in colour and textures.
I decorated this soup like a magical universe on the day that David Bowie died in dedication to the magical, inspiring star man himself.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
- 4 Medium Beetroots (Grated or cut really finely into strips)
- 1 Handful of Beet Greens (Roughly Chopped)
- 2 Large Red Onions (Finely chopped)
- 1 Apple
- 2 Pinches of Sea Salt
- 1 Tbls Black Peppercorns
- Water or Veg Stock
- Coconut Cream, Milk or Yoghurt for garnish
- 1 Tbls Coconut Oil
- 20g Parsley (Finely chopped)
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 230ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Pinches Sea Salt
- 1 Tsp Black Peppercorns
– Heat up a soup pot and add the coconut oil. Once melted, add the red onions and a pinch of sea salt. Mix in well and let it fry on a high heat for 1min. Then turn the heat down to low/medium and let the onions sweat/caramelise for a good 7-10min so that they become really soft and sweet.
– Now add the beetroot and beet greens with another pinch of sea salt and stir. Put the heat up to medium and put the lid on and let it all sweat for another 7-10min. This is how you will get the absolute most out of the flavour. Keep an eye on it to make sure it is not catching. If it is catching a little add the tiniest amount of water so that it steams a little. But what you are aiming for is that you don’t need to add water and the heat, oil and salt start to extract all the natural juices out of the vegetables so that it stays moist.
– Once all the veg is softening, add the peels and chopped apple and water or veg stock to cover. Add the peppercorns and let it all simmer for another 7-10min until all the veg is nice and soft.
– Whilst this is simmering add all the pesto ingredients to a blender or nutribullet and blend until you get a delicious creamy pesto packed with flavour. If it needs another pinch of salt then add this now and blend again for another few seconds.
– Once the soup veg are lovely and soft take off the heat and blend until really creamy and smooth. If it is too thick add a little hot water until it is the right consistency. You want it to be a thick soup but not too thick that it is a puree and not too thin that it is watery. A bit like the thickness of custard or double cream.
– Once done taste! Does it need another pinch of salt? Sometimes adding another pinch if it tastes bland will bring out the sweetness and not necessarily make it saltier. If you add another pinch put the whole soup back on a low heat and let it dissolve well by stirring.
– Take off heat and serve. Once the soup is in a bowl drizzle coconut milk/cream or yoghurt over the top in light circles round the soup and take a chopstick and move the cream around so you get amazing shapes.
– Then start dropping small amounts of pesto in between and use the chopstick again to shape them.
Voila! Your Stargazer Beetroot, Apple & Red Onion Soup with Parsley Pesto & Coconut Cream is ready! Enjoy x