Spicy Blackbean & Kale Salad
Print this recipe!
This dish is so so delicious and reminds me of my travels in Mexico when I ate refried beans & rice, guacamole & salsa dishes daily and the best I have ever had in my life. Also blackbeans and kale are some of my favourite foods and so so good for us.
Kale is absolutely packed with vitamins and minerals, especially calcium, which is so important when we are on a plant-based diet. It is also full of energy and life-force and is one of the best veg for detoxifying the Liver and releasing any of our stuck creative energy. It will help us feel lighter, more creative, our energy will flow more smoothly and it can give us that extra special sparkle through our eyes, skin and hair. Also, did you know that Kale absolutely thrives in freezing cold temperatures? Yup, it is one of the only veg that actually grows more abundantly when the weather is freezing and there is lots of frost and snow. That is how strong and powerful it is. So think of how much strength it is giving us when we eat it. Amazing.
And then we take beautiful rich and nourishing Blackbeans, which literally has the opposite energy of kale. Blackbeans are also full of deep strengthening energy but in a more grounding, contracting way than kale. Blackbeans are particularly nourishing for the Kidneys where our deepest life-force and energy lies. They are great for stimulating our sexual vitality, fertility and reproductive organs. Great for when we are lacking in motivation or feeling cold all the time. Like Kale, I feel that blackbeans are like magic beans with their healing powers and strength, did you know you can drink the juice that they cook in as a tea and it will give you such a boost of deep deep energy without giving you any energy crash afterwards, you will get a second wind in seconds. Blackbean tea is often something that is given to woman as they are in the middle of labour when their energy drops and they become very tired. I drank some during this exact time and it boosted my energy levels like nothing else and enabled me to carry on for another few hours until my daughter was safely born. That is how powerful blackbeans are.
So the next time you are feeling really exhausted or you feel that your energy is getting very depleted, make some blackbeans and keep the water/juice they cook in. It should be thick and black – add it to a mug and drink it warm with a few drops of tamari or shoyu. You will be amazed at the boost of power you can feel afterwards but on such a deep level that will last for longer.
So all in all this salad is a winner for our health and energy. I really hope you enjoy it!
- 2 Cups Blackbeans (Soaked for 1hr-24hrs) or 1 Can of Organic Blackbeans
- 1 Strip of Kombu Seaweed
- 1 Large Bag of Kale
- 2 Avocados
- 1 Cup Sprouted Beans
- 2 Cups Alfalfa Sprouts or Cress
- 1 Lemon Juiced
- 2 Tbls Olive Oil
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
- 2 Tbls Tamari
- 1 Tbls Tomato Puree
- Sea Salt
– First cook the soaked blackbeans in double the amount of water and a strip of kombu. Bring to a boil and let it simmer for 55min-1hr until beans are nice and soft. Then drain and keep the cooking water afterwards in a glass container or jar in the fridge.
– Or you can also use blackbeans in a can but I wouldn’t suggest you drink this juice as I don’t know how or where it has been prepared.
– Whilst the beans are cooking, strip the kale from the stalks and add to a large mixing bowl. Add the lemon juice, 2 pinches of sea salt and olive oil and massage firmly with your hands for approx 5-8min until the kale is nice and soft and no longer feels fibrous and tough.
– Put aside once done
– Take cooked blackbeans and season with cinnamon, paprika, tamari or shoyu and tomato puree and mix in very well until beans become nice and creamy. Taste – add a pinch of sea salt if it needs it.
– Add the massaged kale into a large salad serving bowl, add the avocado diced into cubes, the alfalfa and then the blackbeans in the centre.
– Sprinkle the sprouted beans over the top of the entire salad and drizzle olive oil.
Voila! You’re done! Enjoy x