Pink Grapefruit, Fennel and Walnut Salad with Sweet Grapefruit Vinegrette
Print this recipe!
Such a deliciously simply, fresh and vibrant salad. Perfect for the Summer or for a lovely refreshing starter.
Beautiful bursts of tangy Pink Grapefruit with the lovely earthiness of the fennel followed by little surprise bursts of smokiness from the sesame seeds and walnuts, the flavours in this salad are seriously delicious.
Walnuts have that wonderful bitter flavour to them which is the taste of the Fire Element from the Five Elements. And Summer is the Season of the Fire Element. All bitter foods (aka Fire foods) are great for stimulating more Heart energy through us. Heart opening, Heart stimulating, Heart healing!
When our Heart Energy is flowing well we feel positive, passionate, connected to each other and happy to be social. Unfortunately though many things can cause our Heart Energy to become low.
The main culprits are over-working and over-responsibility, holding in a lot of unexpressed sadness and too much seriousness in our life and not enough play. Along with excess consumption of meat, salt, oily foods, alcohol and recreational drugs.
Eating light, seasonal Summer Foods are the best way to keep our Fire Energy flowing along with making sure we have a good balance of work and play in our life. Or maybe even sometimes having more play!
Yesterday I took my daughter to the playground, and as she played happily in the sandpit I found myself climbing the climbing frame and swinging on the swing. I LOVED IT! And immediately noticed how it put a smile on my face and made my heart feel happy.
Keeping our childhood innocence and sense of play is one of the most important things to keeping our Fire Energy flowing and the passion and happiness flowing through out lives.
So…. check in with your Heart. How is it today? Does it need some care? Play? Lighter Foods?
This salad will be medicine for your Heart. And it only takes 10min to make!
(Serves 4 as a starter)
- 1 Medium-Sized Pink Grapefruit, peeled and segmented with no white pith
- 2 Large Fennel, very finely sliced (keep any fronds for decoration)
- 65g of Walnuts
- 1 Tbsp Black Sesame Seeds (White are fine if you can’t find any black seeds)
- 1 Pinch of Sea Salt
- 120ml of Freshly Squeezed Grapefruit Juice
- 4 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp Brown Rice Syrup or Maple Syrup
- 2 Tbsp Cider Vinegar
- Mix all ingredients in a jar and shake well
– Add the fennel to a mixing bowl with a pinch of salt and massage firmly for 1-2 minutes until raw fibres break down and it feels softer
– In a frying pan, dry toast the sesame seeds on a low heat for 5 minutes until the aroma smells. Put aside in a small bowl. Repeat with the walnuts, moving them around with a spoon, making sure they don’t stick. Remove from heat when done
– Now it is ready to plate up!
– Add the fennel to the plates. Followed by the pink grapefruit segments.
– Scatter the walnuts between the plates and add fennel fronds (if using) to each plate to add height and decoration
– Add the sesame seeds and drizzle with the dressing on top
Voila! That’s it! Enjoy x