Miso Maple Sticky Aubergines
Print this recipe!
Everything about this dish is moorish and scrumptious.
Truth be told aubergines have never been my favourite vegetable. I’ve always found the texture when cooked to be a little slimy and without proper seasoning they can be a little tasteless. But then I created this recipe and all aubergine love has been restored. The marinade has a strong and delicious flavour which the aubergines soakes up perfectly and when roasted in the oven like a steak, the aubergine meat comes out….. well really meaty! So incredibly satisfying and delicious!
In Macrobiotics Aubergines are known as Nightshades and have a very strong YIN energy to them. They are full of water and are incredibly light. Often if you are someone who has an inflammation health issue or are struggling with a depletion of energy, I would advise that you don’t eat Aubergines as they may contribute to your symptoms. But with this recipe I have deliberately used the powerful YANG force of the Miso and marinade to balance out the energetics of this dish so we can enjoy the YIN with the YANG. Balance is always best right.
As some of you may have already known Miso is one of my staple ingredients. It is one the best immune boosting foods I know and energetically is so powerful for helping us stay grounded, present, focused and feel strong (inside and out). So I often try to find ways to introduce it into our dishes at home so we can enjoy the delicious flavour alongside the medicinal benefits.
Overall this dish is super simple. Takes 5min to prepare and once out of the oven the marinade is the stickiest most delicious flavour and it will go with pretty much everything. Enjoy as a beautiful vegetable side dish or have it along side some soup for your main. Also great as left-overs the next day as the marinade flavour has soaked in even more!
Enjoy my loves.
INGREDIENTS(Serves 3-4 people)
- 2 Medium sized Aubergines
- 2 Tbsp Brown Rice Miso Paste
- 2 Tbsp Brown Rice Syrup/Maple Syrup
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1 Tsp Brown Rice Vinegar/Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 Tsp Tamari
- 1 Spring Onion, finely sliced
- Toasted White Sesame Seeds for garnish
- 2 pinches of Fine Sea Salt
– Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
– Mix your marinade ingredients in a small bowl or jar. Set aside.
– Cut the aubergines in half lengthways and put on a baking tree/oven dish. Cut the flesh side of the aubergine into a criss cross pattern and carefully around the edges as well so that you can eat it with a spoon when it is done
– Sprinkle 2 pinches of salt over the aubergines to tenderise them and draw out the liquid
– Using a tablespoon, spoon the marinade over the aubergine halves, making sure that you get the marinade into the gaps as well so it is inside as well, not just on the top. Finally brush the marinade on the top
– Place in the oven for 25 minutes, checking them after 15mins
– Once cooked, remove from the oven, scatter over some toasted white sesame seeds and spring onion and eat immediately