Leek & Potato Soup with Crispy Garlic & Thyme Potato Croutons
Print this recipe!
Leak and Potato Soup is and has always been an all time favourite and staple soup combination in the UK. I have such fond memories of flying over to the UK from Hong Kong (where I grew up) as a child and all the exciting and delicious British foods that we could never get hold off back home. Things like Heinz Baked Beans, Tizer, Monstor Munches, Penguins and good old cans of Campbells Leek & Potato Soup. I remember so distinctly how excited I would be by these foods and how utterly delicious they seemed to me at the time. And how my mother would have a special cupboard in our little old (and I am positive it was haunted! but then again I was a kid with a HUGE imagination) creaky country cottage in the Cotswalds that kept all these golden goodies. The sheer joy that would come up for me every time I got to open it and help myself to this amazing selection of British junk food deliciousness.
Gosh how things have changed! Now I can’t remember the last time I had anything close to any of these foods. But the nostalgia is still there and so many great feelings attached to them, even if I no longer have a desire to eat them.
But when I made my first homemade wholefoods version of good old Leek & Potato soup I couldn’t believe how utterly delicious it tasted. So much better and more flavour then the canned version I ate as a child. And the level of comfort and joy that it would bring me because of all the memories attached to it. Yay! I was very happy!
Let’s make this delicious Leek & Potato Soup!
- 2 Leeks
- 4 small/medium potatoes (for the soup)
- 4 medium potatoes (for the topping)
- 1 White Onion
- Sea Salt
- Sesame Oil
- 1 Garlic Bulb
- 5-6 Sprigs of Fresh Thyme
- Pinch Five Spice
- Vegetable Stock
- Olive Oil
– Pre-heat the oven to 200degrees celsius
– Separate the white parts of the leeks from the dark green parts and finely chop both but keep in separate bowl
– Peel and chop the soup potatoes into medium sized chunks
– Peel and chop the crouton potatoes into small cubes
– Put the crouton potatoes in a roasting dish along with the garlic cloves (no need to peel them just separate them into individual cloves) and the thyme sprigs
– Drizzle olive oil and add a few sprinkles of sea salt and put in the oven for 30min or until nice and crispy
– In a soup pot fry the whites of the leeks on some sesame oil and a pinch of sea salt. Once they start to go translucent turn the heat down and put the lid on and let them sweat for 7-10min. Keep an eye on them so that they don’t catch but if the heat is low enough it should be fine
– Once the leeks are nice and soft add the potatoes and veg stock to cover all really well and bring to a boil. Then turn down to a low simmer and let simmer until veg are nice and soft – approx 10min – 15min
– Once veg are nice and soft then add another pinch of sea salt and a pinch of five spice. Then take off the heat and blend till nice and creamy. If it is too thick then add a little more veg stock. It should be thick and comforting but not so thick it is a puree.
– Taste – does it need a little drizzle of tamari? Add it if needed. And add a small squeeze of lemon juice
– Once the potato croutons are done serve the soup in individual bowls and some fresh leek greens on top then potato croutons and roasted garlic
– Lastly do a small drizzle of olive oil and another pinch of five spice
Voila! You’re done! Enjoy every single mouthful xxx