Kohlrabi, Carrot & Flaxseed Pressed Salad
Print this recipe!
Kohlrabi is one of my all time favourite veg, it is so refreshing and cleansing. Yet sadly it is one of the veg that just doesn’t get enough love and attention. So often I’ll hold one of these beauties up in class and most of my students don’t have a clue what it is – is it an alien? Or if they do know what it is they don’t really know what to do with it. So I wanted to show you this super simple and easy recipe to make while this beautiful veg is still in season (which is now in the UK).
Kohlrabi comes in two colours, deep purple and bright light green – I haven’t noticed a difference in taste in either of them but just because I love the colour I often will end up buying the purple one if it’s available. Beware that Kohlrabi prefer to grow in a cooler climate so if you do end up buying them out of season they may have a woody texture to the flesh. But if it is in season then it is likely to be fresh and clean and taste absolutely delicious!
Kohlrabi is related to the cabbage family so broccoli, cabbage, turnips, brussel sprouts are all its brothers and sisters. It is absolutely full of Vitamin C and great for cleansing animals fats and oils from the body.
Also Flaxseed is an absolutely amazing superfood. It is full of Omega-3 Fats and amazing antioxidants. It is also full of fibre so also amazing for strengthening digestive health. So all in all this salad is gonna take your gut health to a very happy place!
- 1 Medium Kohlrabi
- 2 Medium/Large Carrots
- 3 Tbls Flaxseeds
- 2 Tsp Sea Salt
- 60ml Brown Rice Vinegar or Cider Vinegar
– Peel the Kohlrabi with a knife and cut it in half. Then grate it into a mixing bowl
– Peel the carrots and grate them into the same mixing bowl
– Add the sea salt and then massage the vegetables with your hands. Yup, that’s right, you need to get your hands in that food! To massage them just keep giving it all a good squeeze then mix it around with your hands and squeeze, and squeeze until you can start to feel and see the veg start to break down (not emotionally!!! lol!)
– Then take a small plate or something with a flat surface that will fit into the mixing bowl and cover the salad. Place it on top of the salad then put something heavy on top of the plate (like a bottle of olive oil or a rock). Leave it there to press for 20min.
– After 20min you will notice a lot of juice has come out of the veg and it’s size and volume would have gone down
– Pour out the juice (you can drink this too and it is great for cleansing) and add the flaxseeds and vinegar and give the whole thing a good mix
Voila! You are ready to serve. Enjoy xx