Simple Everyday Veggie Pasta Dish
Print this recipe!
As many of you may know by now, I am a working mother to a toddler, so simple and easy dishes that I can muster up in 20-30min are essential for my family. I came up with this dish on a night when I was super tired and had 30min before I had to feed my hungry daughter. Frantically I opened the fridge and pulled out every last bit of veg and protein I had left in their and was determined to make something delicious and nourishing out of it all. A pop to the shops for more ingredients was not an option!
My variation of this dish is just that, my variation. As long as you keep the foundations of the recipe the same, like the herbs, seasoning and tomato base, the rest is yours to play with (or muster up after a long day at work).
It really is that simple, and the good thing is, who doesn’t love a good pasta dish?
- 150g Cherry Tomatoes (or any kind of tomatoes)
- 150g Frozen Peas
- 1 Med Sized Carrot
- 1 Red Onion
- 4 Cloves Garlic
- 15g Fresh Basil Leaves
- 260g Firm Tofu
- 225g Spinach Leaves
- 1 Can Organic Chopped Tomatoes
- 1-2 Tbls Tomato Puree
- 2 Tbls Rice Syrup
- 1-2 Tbls Shoyu
- Sea Salt
- 1 Tbls Balsamic Vinegar
- 25g Fresh Flat Leaf Parsley
- 2 Tbls Dried Mixed Herbs
– Dice the onion, carrot and garlic. If the carrot is organic you can leave the skin on. If it has mud on it then give it a good wash but other then that I have never felt a need to take off the beautiful skin if no chemicals have been used. Remember, this is WHOLE FOOD cooking
– Heat a little olive or sesame Oil in a pot and add the onion. Add a good pinch of salt
– Let the onion cook on a medium/low heat until it starts to turn translucent, then add the tofu and carrot
– Let the onion, carrot and tofu (and salt) cook on a low heat with the lid on. The salt will be working it’s magic and drawing out the maximum amount of flavour and liquid in the veg. You can leave it like this for 10minutes. Keep an eye on it but you can leave it and you’ll be amazed at how much liquid is drawn out after 10min.
– During this 10min you can bring another pot of water up to boil with a good pinch of salt. Add the corn pasta and let it cook until ready – 10min approx. Once cooked, drain well in a colander and put aside
– Once the veggies are soft then add the cherry tomatoes and the dried herbs. Add another small pinch of salt. Mix in well and cook on a low/medium heat for another 5minutes
– Now you can add the canned chopped tomatoes, mix in well and let it simmer for another 5-10min on a higher heat. If you need to add a little water for the right consistency then do it now. Add the tomato paste, peas and fresh basil right at the end
– Season with the rice syrup, balsamic vinegar and shoyu. Then taste your food. ALWAYS TASTE YOUR COOKING! Very important point. Don’t just listen to me, taste your own food. Some of you may like saltier, sweeter, more simple foods than me so taste your food and be the King (or Queen) of your own kitchen and decide how you would like it. Cooking this way comes from the heart and not the head!
– Roughly chop up some parsley. Put some pasta in a bowl, serve up a good serving of your delicious sauce and mix in some fresh parsley at the end. Voila! Ready! Deliciousness!
And the great thing is this sauce will last at least 2-3 days and tastes better each day!