Pumpkin, Red Lentil & Coconut Soup (aka Hug in a Bowl Soup)
Print this recipe!
This soup is literally like a hug in a bowl. It is what I crave and go to on those days when I just want to be wrapped in a blanket and hugged non-stop!
It is creamy, sweet, smooth and looks soft and nurturing too. Unsurprisingly this was the most popular soup while it was on the menu at Tiosk! Of course it was – everyone wants and needs a hug! Better to have it with a warm nourishing bowl of healthy soup than with several bars of chocolate, right?
I have seen many a students sweet cravings disappear after bringing this bowl of soup into their life! It’s simple to make, really low in fat and absolutely great for kids!
Really hope you enjoy it!
- 1 Med Butternut Squash or Pumpkin
- 1 White Onion
- 50g Red Lentils
- Water or Veg Stock
- Sea Salt
- 1-2 Tbls White Miso
- 1-2 Tbls Rice Syrup
- 45g Desiccated Coconut
– Cut and peel the onion and squash into cubes and add to a pot
– Add the veg stock or water to cover with a good pinch of sea salt
– Bring to a boil, then turn down to simmer on a medium/low heat for another 10min or until veg is nice and soft
– Add the red lentils and add more water to cover if needed. The lentils will soak up the water a lot as cooking so keep adding water a little at a time so that it doesn’t get too dry and it cooks properly.
– Let it simmer for another 10min or until the lentils are cooked
– Once nice and soft and cooked, take off heat and blend with a hand blender until creamy. You want the consistency to be a nice thick soup – like being wrapped in a blanket. If it is too watery it won’t give you the same comfort factor effect
– Add white miso, desiccated coconut and rice syrup and mix in really well
– Taste? Does it need more sweetener? It is meant to be a sweet soup so add another 1/2 tbls if needed
Voila! Enjoy! Now savour every warm and creamy comforting mouthful xxx