Creamy Coconut Lemon Quinoa
Print this recipe!
I love coconut! I was born and raised in Hong Kong and my mother is from Malaysia, so coconut is something that has always been there. Just the smell makes me feel nostalgic.
This dish is a twist on one of my favourites – coconut rice. Even writing the words coconut rice makes me want to eat it right now! But the coconut rice we usually get from the restaurants or in Thailand and Asia are usually full of sugar (which is why it is so sweet!). So I came up with this version with Quinoa, which is lighter but still creamy and deliciously sweet.
- 190g Quinoa
- 100g Creamed Coconut
- 350ml Boiling Water
- 1 Small Pinch of Sea Salt
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 1-2 Tbls Rice Syrup
– Add the boiling water and the creamed coconut to a pot and dissolve the coconut to a cream
– Add the quinoa and pinch of sea salt
– Put on the stove and bring to a boil. As soon as it is boiling turn the heat right down to the lowest and put it on a flame spreader if you have one. If not then don’t worry
– Let it cook on lowest heat for 15min. You can check on it once or twice to give it a good stir if it needs
– After 15min turn the heat off and leave the lid on and let it steam for another 5min
– Once done open the lid and zest 2 lemons into the pot and add 1 tbls of the rice syrup. Mix in well
– Have a taste – do you want it sweeter? If yes add another tbls of the rice syrup
Voila! Enjoy x