Buckwheat, Romanesco & Butterbean Salad with Lemon Tahini Sauce
Print this recipe!
This salad is such a vibrant burst of colour and vitality along with the grounding of the buckwheat.
Perfect for this ‘almost’ Spring season. It’s not quite Winter anymore but it’s still got quite a chill in the air so we’re still in need of some warmth.
Buckwheat is an amazing grain that provides a large amount of energy and heat to the body, particularly the kidneys so it is very beneficial to help with grounding and creating a sense of calm. Combine this with the beautiful fresh and cleansing Romanesco, Purple Carrot & Kale and we have a lovely sense of balance.
- 150g Buckwheat
- 300ml Salted Water
- 1 Medium Romanesco
- 2 Medium Purple Carrots
- 500g Kale
- 1 Lemon (juiced)
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 Pinches Sea Salt
- 200g Cooked Butterbeans
- 100g Walnuts
- 2 Tbsp Brown Rice Syrup
- 50g (3 Tbsp) Tahini
- 1 Lemon (juiced)
- 30ml Water
- 1 Tbsp Tamari
- 1 Tbsp Brown Rice Syrup or Maple
- 1/4 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
– First, cook your buckwheat. Add buckwheat to a pan and toast over medium heat for 3 minutes or until you can smell the nutty aroma. Add the salted water to the pan and bring to the boil. Leave to simmer with the lid on for 15 mins
– Peel the purple carrots and finely slice them into thin circles using a mandolin or a knife. Take off each floret of romanesco so that you have small sized trees and add these to a separate pan of salted boiling water and cook for 5 mins until al dente. Drain and leave to the side
– Strip the kale leaves from the stalks into a large mixing bowl. Squeeze in the lemon juice, add the olive oil and 2 pinches of sea salt
– Massage the kale with your hands until the leaves are tender and all the rawness has gone
– Add the walnuts to a frying pan on a medium heat to toast them. Stir continuously so that they do not burn and let them toast for 3-4 mins until you can smell their aroma
– Add the brown rice or maple syrup and a pinch of sea salt and mix in well. Turn off the heat and leave to cool
– Add all the ingredients for the dressing to a glass jar or bowl and mix well
– To serve, mix the buckwheat, carrots, romanesco, kale and walnuts in a bowl and either pour over the dressing or serve on the side