Tumeric & Coconut Rice Porridge (aka Sunshine Porridge)
Print this recipe!
Ever wondered what to do with all that left over rice in the fridge and just can’t bare another night of something and brown rice for dinner? If you’re anything like me where I have a complete inability to make a small amount of rice (must be my Asian genes), then this is going to be a useful post for you.
It’s time to start using that rice for your porridge!
Brown Rice porridge is one of my family’s favourite breakfasts. It is sweet, rich, nourishing, filling and amazing for our health all at the same time. What’s not to love! Having porridge made from a wholegrain, like brown rice is such an incredibly grounding way to start the day. Wholegrains give us a good burst of slow releasing, long lasting energy that will help us stave off cravings and hunger throughout the whole morning. Much more than oat flakes will.
In macrobiotics, wholegrains promote in us a much more balanced and ‘whole’ perspective on life and the world. It is one of the few foods where the seed and fruit are one. They have a beautiful wholeness in their structure and this is the energetic quality we take in when we eat them.
Full of amazing enzymes that stimulate digestion and extremely high in fibre, wholegrains not only keep our intestines clean but can actually strengthen our intestinal tract, giving optimal digestive health. Brown Rice is the grain of clarity, peace, grounding and balance. Put a grain of brown rice on a counter in your kitchen and it will last over 1000years before it even thinks about rotting. A totally invincible food and is the food of the spirits!
Where oats can often create more mucus in the body, brown rice creates strong clean and invincible lungs. I hope you enjoy this beautiful sunshine breakfast as much as we did. My daughter wolfed down 2 bowls which is always a good sign that this one is a winner!
- 380g Left Over Cooked Brown Rice (Or cook 180g Soaked Uncooked Rice in 350ml Water for 50min or until soft and fluffy)
- 75g Raisins
- 50g Creamed Coconut (Sliced thinly)
- 600ml Almond, Rice or Oat Milk
- 2-3 Tbls Brown Rice Syrup
- Pinch of Sea Salt
- 1- 1 1/2 Tsp Tumeric Powder
- A little desiccated coconut for garnish
– Put all the ingredients in a pot except the turmeric and rice syrup
– Bring to heat but do not boil. Let it simmer for 10min and stirring when needed to make sure it doesn’t burn, boil or dry out. If needed, add a little more milk if the rice soaks up all that has been used
– Simmer until the rice has become lovely and creamy
– Then add the turmeric and the Brown Rice Syrup and stir really well. Let it simmer for another 2-3min
– Then take off heat
– That’s it! Serve with a little pouring of a cold milk of your choice and a few pinches of desiccated coconut