Three Jewelled Enoki Mushrooms
Print this recipe!
This meal came together in a matter of moments. I literally opened my fridge and found a few ingredients – Enoki Mushrooms, 1/2 Pomegrante, 1 Raddicchio Bulb and 1/2 a Lemon.
The strangest set of ingredients you would ever imagine to find when opening a fridge but my goodness, put them together with the right seasoning and spices and it has turned out to be something simply delicious and quite magical.
I feel a new spirit and energy emerging lately. Specifically in the past few days. And I am pretty sure that it is because Spring is coming. Have you noticed that? Yes, it is lighter, the sky is more blue, the sun is shining more and flowers and blossoms and trees are coming back to life.
But along with all of these things, the energy just feels different. Like it is waking up. Like something is lifting. And along with that I have been feeling that way too.
The past few days I have been so drawn in by new colours and textures and flavours and a new vibrancy and life that I feel like I have been lacking over the past month. And when this dish all came together I looked down at it and it emulated everything that I was feeling and it made me smile.
I was once taught that the best way to know what is in the meal I eat is to go and meet the chef who made it. Everything that I feel, the energy and state I am in when I cook and what fills my heart, all pours out into the food that I make. Sometimes it is so confronting that it is annoying. When I’m angry but not dealing with it, I almost ALWAYS burn things. When I’m feeling low in energy and tired and blue my food tends to have less colour and be a bit flat.
But today it made me so happy to look down and see such magic and colour on the plate with this dish. Like it was smiling back at me saying… “Hey, you’re doing pretty good today Nic”.
A beautiful marriage of Middle Eastern and Japanese, the flavours and textures in this dish work so perfectly. And so simple to make but so delicious to eat. Every mouthful is a burst of different flavours, or a burst of pomegranate or a crunch of coriander seed. So lovely. Like a magical three jewelled lucky dip. You just don’t know what you’re gonna get each time!
I really hope you enjoy it as much as I have.
- 2 Slices Sprouted Rye Bread or Gluten Free Bread if you need (Toasted)
- 200g Enoki Mushrooms (Cut off the rough end)
- 2 Garlic Cloves (Finely Sliced)
- 1/2 Pomegranate
- 1 Radicchio Bulb (Finely Sliced)
- 1/2 Lemon Wedge
- A little Fresh Coriander to garnish
- 1 Tbls Coriander Seeds (Lightly crushed in a pestle & mortar)
- 2 Tbls Tamari
- 1 Tbls Brown Rice Syrup or Maple Syrup
- 2 Tbls Olive Oil
- Fine Sea Salt
– Heat up some olive oil in a frying pan and add the enoki mushrooms and a pinch of sea salt
– Fry them for a few minutes on high heat then add the garlic and fry for another 1 min
– Then add the tamari and syrup and mix in well and let it fry for another 2-3minutes until the mushrooms are well cooked and slightly wilted. You do not want to over cook them as they will become very wilted and not nice
– Toast your bread and once toasted pour on the mushrooms on top
– Add the finely sliced radicchio and pomegranate seeds and the coriander seeds so that they are equally spread around the plate
– Lastly garnish with fresh coriander
– Squeeze fresh lemon over the top and ready to serve!