Chocolate Chip & Pear Flapjacks
Print this recipe!
Yum yum yum yum! This little experiment turned out to be a winner! I made these for me and the family the day after we returned back from our holiday in Malaysia. We’d been up since 4:30am, were horribly jet-lagged and all craving something sweet and comforting to munch on while huddled under blankets on the sofa. Queue flapjacks….. and the day was complete!
At first when I pulled these baby’s out of the oven I thought I’d made a mistake. They just weren’t as sticky as usual flapjacks ‘should’ be and I must admit, I felt a little disappointed, but they sure did taste delicious though! I promised myself that I would keep working on the recipe until I got it right before I shared it with you.
The next morning though I had a little nibble of one again and in fact I realised they were absolutely delicious. Perfect in fact! That day was the first day of my January ‘Making Space’ Cleanse and although I wasn’t planning on doing anything drastic like fasting or dieting I had made a decision to lighten my foods so that I can give my energy and digestion a little break. And these flapjacks were so light, fluffy, and the fact that they were less sticky and oily as usual flapjacks made them just what I needed!! Brilliant!
I often say to my cooking students that really there are no accidents when cooking in the kitchen. Just new discoveries and some lovely little surprises! You either discover that something did or didn’t work and sometimes when you think you’ve made a mistake you end up with something even better! Love it!
So for those of you that are trying to give your body, energy and digestion a little break this month these flapjacks will be just perfect for you. And for those of you that aren’t, they will still be perfect for you too! Just remember…. they are not meant to be too sticky! You’ve been warned!
- 215g Oats
- 225mls Maple Syrup or Brown Rice Syrup
- 100mls Coconut Oil
- 1 Vanilla Pod (Extract the seeds)
- 1 Lemon, Zested
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
- 55g Raw Cacao Nibs
- 2 Medium Pears (Peeled, Cored & Grated)
- 1/4 Tsp Sea Salt
– Pre-heat the oven to 160 degrees celsius
– In a small pan melt the coconut oil and maple syrup into a thick liquid and add the lemon zest. Mix well
– In a large mixing bowl add the oats, sea salt, vanilla seeds, cinnamon, cacao nibs and mix
– Then add the grated pear and the coconut oil/maple/lemon zest mix. Mix everything really well together
– Lightly oil a baking dish and add the mixture to the dish. Make sure to press down the mixture as firmly as you can although it is likely to be soft and wet. This is the way it is meant to be
– Bake in the oven for 25-30min. Check on it at 20min and take it out once the sides start turning darker brown and the top turn golden
– Leave to cool for at least 20min
Voila! Enjoy! Light, fluffy and won’t leave your digestion aching for a rest!