Apple & Granola Breakfast Muffins
Print this recipe!
Beautiful warmer weather is here and I have been dying to find new lighter breakfast options to have. Something quick and easy with everything I want for breakfast put all together in one go!
And so… introducing these absolutely delicious Apple & Granola Breakfast Muffins.
A light and fluffy spelt muffin filled with cubes of fresh apple, topped with a layer of delicious granola, topped with a fresh and light dollop of coconut yoghurt and finished off with fresh apple again. SO YUM!!
And these babies are an absolute winner with the kids (and husbands and husbands work colleagues).
I haven’t had much time to cook and create lately. So many exciting new work projects have been coming in, more opportunities to write, speak and I’ve started teaching a new workshop.
And even though everything that is happening is exactly what I dreamed of, there’s something that happens for me when I don’t have the time and space to cook and create in my kitchen.
I feel ungrounded, like something is missing and I start living way too much from my head instead of my body. Cooking and creating is so much part of the way I express my creativity and love and it has become one of the most important and nourishing tools in my life.
These muffins are the first new thing I’ve made in weeks and they were SO much fun and so delicious! I felt like a kid making them (and eating them!).
So I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.
- 230g Spelt Flour
- 100g Ground Almonds
- 160g Brown Rice Syrup or Maple Syrup
- 60ml Apple Juice Concentrate
- 2 Tsp Baking powder
- ¼ Tsp Salt
- 3-4 small apples peeled & cubed
- 1 egg or 1Tbls Chia Seed Powder mixed with 2 Tbls water
- 50g Coconut Oil (melted)
- 120ml Rice or Almond milk
- 2 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp Vanilla Powder or 1 Tbls Vanilla Essence
- 60g Sugar-Free Vegan Granola
Coconut Whipped Cream
- 230g Coyo Yoghurt
- 3 Tbsp Maple syrup
– Pre-heat the oven to 180degrees celsius
– Peel & cube the fruit into small cubes. Cover in water and lemon juice to stop browning
– Mix all dry ingredients together but put everything through a sieve to sift through all lumps
– Separately mix all wet ingredients together well with a whisk
– Mix wet with dry ingredients well so that there are no more lumps of flour but do not over mix as you will lose a lot of the air which creates the lovely fluffiness
– Lastly mix in all the fruit but leave 12 pieces aside for garnish.
– Take a cupcake or muffin tray and oil each muffin hold well with a little oil. You can use your finger to make sure all areas are well oiled. Then sprinkle a little flour over each one.
– Pour in muffin mix with a small ladle into each mould until it reaches the top of each mould.
– Put into the oven for 15min then take out and sprinkle granola over the top of each one and put back in the oven for a further 5-7min or until everything is golden brown and you can stick a knife into the centre and it comes out clean.
– Leave to cool in the trays for at least 5 minutes. Then carefully remove and leave to cool for a further 15-20min on a wire rack.
– While the muffins are cooling add the coconut yoghurt to a blender and the maple syrup and blend till fluffy and whipped.
– Now add a dollop onto whichever muffins you want to eat and sprinkle a little granola on top with the final piece of fresh apple. (keep the coconut whipped cream in the fridge to add to more muffins as and when you want to eat them)
Voila! They are ready to be devoured! Enjoy! xxx