Avocado & Tahini Waffles
Print this recipe!
One of my favourite memories as a child was the smell of waffles. On my way back from school I would walk past this hawker stall (I grew up in Hong Kong) where the woman would sell Waffle Cake and my god, the smell would literally make my knees wobble. I can’t remember ever being able to walk past her without buying a piece and nibble on it all the way home.
So the day I finally bought a waffle iron to make my own baby girl waffles for breakfast (and myself and hubby!) was a happy one. It’s something I always dreamed about. Making delicious breakfasts in the morning for my family and now that its my reality it is one of my favourite things to do.
We have a routine forming where we have waffles or pancakes on Sunday mornings but occasionally if one of us has a craving mid-week…who am I to say no! For some reason though I had never tried waffles in a savoury way. And OH MY GOD! So so SO delicious! The strong flavour of tahini with avocado and squidgy waffle is an absolute winner.
So I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.
- 170g Spelt Flour (Use Rice Flour or any GF Flour if you need GF)
- 360ml – 480ml Almond Milk
- 2 Eggs (If you want to leave out, just cook the waffles for longer to crisp them up)
- 2 Tbls Olive Oil
- 1 Tbls Baking Powder
- 2 Tbls Maple Syrup
- Pinch Sea Salt
- 2 Avocados
- Tahini (Here is my home-made recipe)
– First heat up the waffle iron.
– Then sieve all the flour, salt and baking powder into a mixing bowl and add eggs. Mix. If vegan or don’t feel like eggs then please leave out, the mixture will work just fine. You will just need to leave them cooking longer for them to crisp up…so be patient!
– Now whisk in all the other wet ingredients
– If you need to grease your waffle iron then do so with a little olive oil or coconut oil. Now pour in your mix. Do not over fill otherwise waffle mix will pour out the sides and it is really hard to clean up. I know this because I have done it MANY times!
– Pull the lid down and let it cook for at least 5min or until the top is crisp and golden brown
– In the meantime cut up 2 avocados into lovely big chunks
– Once the waffles are ready add the avocado on top and drizzle with tahini. Homemade will have the strongest flavour so have a look at my tahini recipe if you’re feeling adventurous!
– The next thing to do is sit back and enjoy every mouthful! x